Thursday, May 22, 2008

Random ideas floating thru my mind

Nothing in particular to post about today - just a collection of random ideas that have been floating thru my mind over the last few days...

1. It's the Lady Di's birthday this weekend! My lovely wife is turning $& this year and we're celebrating in style - I'll post what I thought of the restaurant my sister recommended later!

2. The Giants stink...and don't get me started on Zito!

3. I love my little Sansa Express MP3 player - it took me 3 weeks to rip all our CD's to MP3's but now that I'm done I can create playlists from over 8,000 songs and I've been having lots of fun mixing stuff.

4. Sir Winston Churchill. Right now, I'm on volume 2 of "A History of the English Speaking Peoples" and I absolutely love it. A great way to reconnect with the roots of our own country.

5. The Isle of Wight. The Lady Di, Fred the Wonder Dog, and myself have been watching excerpts of the Isle of Wight Festival on MHD. I have now discovered the wonders of Wolfmother and Keane, and we're laying plans to go there next year. Yes, it's THAT cool.

6. Video WatcHDog. Still the best movie magazine out there. Just got the latest issue this week, with lots of Doctor Who coverage - Pertwee, Baker, and Tennant! Haven't finished it yet (what?), can't wait to get to the Biblio Watchdog and Audio Watchdog columns!

Also, thanks to the kind approval of the Lady Di, we got the Rat Pack box set last weekend. "Oceans 11", "Robin and the 7 Hoods", "Four for Texas", and "Sergeants 3". Watched "Oceans 11" immediately, of course, since it is the ULTIMATE Rat Pack movie - love that closing shot of the guys walking down the strip after losing their loot, where they each look as if they're wondering just what the hell they're going to do now. Forget Bond - Frank and Dino show how to dress like a million bucks and still be an ass-kickin' man of action! Saw "Four for Texas" last night - pretty forgettable, formulaic Western...until Ursula Andress shows up as Dino's love interest. Anita Ekberg plays Frank's girl, but frankly she looks kinda matronly. Andress, however, is nothing less than a sexual supernova whose smouldering eroticism practically leaps off the screen whenever she appears - frankly, the movie could have used a lot more of her!

Oh well. Everyone enjoy that Memorial Day long weekend, ya hear? Hug your loved ones, raise a tall frosty and salute the ones that have left...and last but not ever least, say a quick prayer or toast to our men and women serving in Iraq. Whatever your position on the war, never forget the sacrifice and the bravery displayed by our troops.

No comments: